Monday, February 23, 2009

Pulverized!

Professor Roger Pulvers is currently writing COUNTERPOINT, a series of articles for The Japan Times. He writes on culture, the Japanese language and a host of other topics in his fresh, inimitable style full of good humor. I came across him many years ago as a translator of Japanese stories by Kenji Miyazawa. At that time, I was new to Japan and my Japanese ability was hardly good enough to understand Japanese texts properly. I often needed their English translations. His translations are excellent (I would love to follow in his footsteps in future). All in all I can say I am very much ‘Pulverized’ and wish him a long and happy writing career.

Mr. Pulvers was born in New York, stayed in the erstwhile Soviet Union for a long time before coming to Japan. (See his profile on his website). He is an Australian citizen living in Japan. If you are interested in 'pulverisms' and looking at Japanese culture through ‘Pulverized’ eyes, do have a dose of his witty articles. Here is the link to his website.
http://www17.ocn.ne.jp/~h-uesugi/secondpage.htm

2 comments:

  1. I was not aware of Roger Pulvers until I read this post. Thanks for the link. He is indeed a sharp writer, his articles are witty and full of good humour. Another addition to my 'to read' list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to know you liked the link. Happy reading! And your own views welcome.

    ReplyDelete